Wednesday, May 1, 2013

What College Has Taught Me


College is a place where you drop thousands and thousands of dollars for a piece of paper that is supposed to get you more money and better jobs. What they don't tell you is that it's a place to hone your creativity in ways you have never even imagined. I have a BS in Psychology, which means I spent a lot of money to graduate with no job prospects.

To alleviate my boredom of the BS psychology classes, I started drawing pictures. A lot of pictures. By the end of class I could have entire pages of comics and designs and anything that wasn't words. Some things were awesome as hell, but most were just imagination diarrhea spilled on paper. Here's a chronicle of what I learned in school.

Puns
When sitting in classes that bore the hell out of you, you pretty much start thinking about everything that isn't school. One day I came up with a bunch of puns. Why? Because it wasn't psychology. I wrote a few good ones down and added some pictures to accompany them, but sadly left them in the notebooks, which are now in the garbage, of course. But I assure you, Darth Vader in an "Elevader" was quite funny, as was, not quite a pun, Darth Vader saying his favorite album is Dark Side of the Moon. Once again, I'm sorry to inform you that these works of art are in the trash.

This combines puns, offensiveness, and a Nickelodeon character. That takes skill.

Offensive jokes only funny to me
The above picture is when I started incorporating Nickelodeon shows into my puns, but those took a turn for the worse real quickly, like a sharp turn from funny to super offensive. It started when I accidentally drew Spongebob Asianpants ("No Krabby Patty! Must study math!), then Spongebob Gangsterpants ("What up Krabizzle?"), then Spongebob Hebrewpants (Oy, I will not refund you a penny!"), and it got progressively worse. In fact, Spongebob Hebrewpants was accompanied by Jew Arnold. That was a very dark time. But it got worse. The racism transferred into other "funny" comics. I felt there was some comedic value in a man wearing a turban saying to the man next to him on a plane, "I just finished flying lessons!" Yes, that one was a little rough, but hilarious in my mind. (Please don't think less of me. I'm not a racist man.)

Class-related jokes only funny to me
You can tell when I started to pay attention during class because my drawings pertained to the class material. For example, on the day we learned about classical conditioning, Pavlov's learning theory, I drew this amazing picture of a dog drooling. The punchline? Obviously the dog saying, "Pavlov? That name rings a bell." Now, it's not the best or most creative thing I've come up with, but I laughed pretty hard in class, which made it very apparent I was not paying attention.

I had to share this with a lot of classmates, none who enjoyed it as much as I did.
Once again, I laughed really hard in class after drawing this one.
Ninjas
For a short time, for reasons unbeknownst to me, I became obsessed with ninjas. Maybe something in psychology inspired me to draw ninjas, who knows...Anyways, there were out there to see and I was kind of ashamed of myself for drawing them. When a 22-year-old guy sits in class drawing ninjas, you stay the hell away from him and question his life decisions.

This one is called, "Zoom in on ninja's face while he battles a pirate until the ninja goes, 'HADOUKEN!'"
I call this, "Noodle Ninja." I was not creative enough to think of a cool pun.
How to make cool designs
Finally I reached senior year and matured a little bit. I grew out of my racist cartoon phase and started being productive by making cool designs. Though I did still draw the occasional silly picture, like recently Pac-man as a human business man, I started focusing on how lines and stuff interact to make different lines and stuff. By simply curving lines, connecting dots and making never-ending lines, I was able to make magic.

Yeah, I'm impressed too.
Now I'm not claiming to be the next Picasso or Leonardo da Vinci, but looking back on it, college has basically taught me how to create masterpieces that grace your eyes with artistic lead and ink; that is a skill everyone should learn sometime in their life.



Don't forget to "like" us on Facebook HERE
Also, join our Google+ Community HERE 
And follow us over there in the right sidebar!

2 comments:

  1. If it's any consolation, I've been out of college for almost 40 yrs now and most people I've met who have degrees agree that they have needed or used much of what they learned in college.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told many times that it's not about what degree you have, but how you use it.

      Delete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Google Analytics Alternative